Maui is one of the most beautiful islands, popular for its dazzling beaches, mouth-watering local cuisines, mesmerizing weather, and excellent vacation activities.
There is no shortage of tourist attractions on Maui– The more you spend time, the more you explore. The intriguing thing about this island is it’s a sweet spot for people who want to rest and chill for a day or a week.
Visiting multiple attractions on foot in Maui is a bit tricky. So, renting a car is a wise decision. Car rental is a relatively cheaper option than taking a taxi or an Uber. It saves not only your money but also time.
However, if you’re looking for an even more economical option, commuting on local buses is ideal as it costs $2. Moreover, you get plenty of buses to move around the island every hour. On the other hand, the average rental fare for an ordinary car is around $60/day.
Want to know more about car rental costs in Maui? If yes, you’re in the right place. You’ll learn the car rental costs in Maui in 2023 in detail as you read more. So, let’s get in without any further ado.
Maui Is The #1 Island For An Expensive Rental Cars
Kahului(Set on Maui Hawaiian island) is the #1 most expensive U.S. tourist attraction for rental cars as per the survey conducted by “CheapCarRental.net.” The week’s average car rental fare is $972 for a standard vehicle.
Similarly, the Kona in Hawaii stands in the second place for expensive rental cars, with average weekly fares of around $923. There is a massive demand for rental cars due to the shortage of vehicles. And the demand is increasing incredibly despite imposing strict COVID-19 rules.
Due to this car’s scarcity, experts recommended booking a rental vehicle as soon as possible to enjoy a hassle-free vacation. Although the pandemic made the situation upside down, the scenario of car rentals on this island remained almost the same.
The price of vehicles spikes up to a few hundred dollars, especially during peak tourist seasons. Even the tourists rent a car for over $300/day. Make sure you visit this site to know more about the Maui car rental services.
How Much Does A Rental Car Cost In Maui?
Maui’s average car rental price for a typical car is around $60/day in 2019. While the average cost spikes to $185/day in the peak vacation months. However, the average rental cost in 2023 has declined to $50(Still expensive!) per day and $350 per week.
Availing of a rental car in Maui is a challenging task. So, the island has expensive car rental services. You can also get around this largest island on Uber. If you’d like to travel from Kahului to Lahaina, the uberx pricing ranges between $30 to $40. On the other hand, the uberSelect costs anywhere between $109 to $144.
Similarly, the uberx for travelling from Paia to Hana, Lahaina to Kihei, and Wailuku to Haleakala cost around $59 to $79, $28 to $37, and $55 to $74, respectively. Uber is pretty expensive than car rental services.
For instance, you can rent a car for 24 hours for merely $45 or $50. Uber charges $30 to $40 to travel from Kahului to Lahaina, which takes 23 miles and takes less than an hour. That’s why most tourists choose car rentals over uber services.
Renting a vehicle is more affordable, but it also offers enormous freedom and flexibility to roam anywhere on the island.
Rental Prices For Multiple Cars In Maui In 2023
- An economy suitable for two adults and two bags: $45/day
- A compact ideal for four adults and two bags: $42/day
- An intermediate ideal for five adults and three bags: $47/day
- A standard best for five adults and three bags: $44/day
- A full-size vehicle suitable for five adults and two bags: $46/day
- A minivan ideal for five adults and five bags: $63/day
- A full-size SUV suitable for five adults and two bags: $83/day
- A premium ideal for five adults and five bags: $51/day
- A convertible great for five adults and three bags: $68/day
- A compact SUV suitable for four adults and two bags: $103/day
- An open-air all-terrain best for five adults and three bags: $82/day
- An intermediate SUV best for five adults and three bags: $53/day
- A standard SUV ideal for five adults and three bags: $52/day
- A premium SUV suitable for five adults and five bags: $42/day
Day Rentals In Maui In 2023
- 2023 Honda Accord: $104.45 in Wailuku, HI
- 2020 Nissan Altima: $110.08 in Kahului, HI
- 2019 Subaru Crosstrek: $150.39 in Haiku-Pauwela, HI
- 2018 Ford Mustang: $121.66 in Kahului, HI
- 2015 Mini Cooper Countryman: $126.27 in Kahului, HI
- 2023 Subaru Forester: $120.55 in Haiku, HI
- 2019 Honda Odyssey: $143.51 in Haiku-Pauwela, HI
- 2014 Honda Odyssey: $148.95 in Kahului, HI
- 2011 Toyota Sienna: $184.55 in Kahului, HI
- 2019 Honda Odyssey: $121.6 in Lahaina, HI
- 2017 Jeep Renegade: $105.23 in Haiku, HI
- 2017 BMW X1: $132.60 in Kahului, HI
- 2023 Volkswagen Taos: $99.24
- 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited: $137.77
- 2020 Toyota Tacoma: $241.07
- 2023 Jeep Gladiator: $251.22
- 2019 Chevy Silverado: $184.55
- 2020 Toyota Tacoma: $183.42
- 2018 Toyota Tacoma: $176.03
The prices might increase or decrease based on the demand and vehicle supply. There are also rental cars for over $300 to $500, depending on the additional features and luxuries.
It’s no surprise that Maui is one of the best tourist destinations. Since the island is quite large, renting a vehicle is ideal. However, Maui’s rental services are expensive compared to other vacation spots due to its shortage of cars. This is why travellers book rental vehicles in advance to enjoy hassle-free services. The average price for renting a standard car is around $50 per day, while the price spikes over $250 or $300 during peak seasons.