Having a sofa in your living room or bedroom allows you to sit and relax. Based on people’s personal taste, people decorate the couch with a cover, a loose rug, or different types of cushions. Due to the constant use, the sofa sheets might get dirty often with dust particles, spilled food crumbs, or pet hair (if you have pets).
If you lay down on the sofa after oiling your hair, the oil might stain the sheets as well. Also, the ventilation and outdoor air quality can make your sofa dirty if you have kept the doors and windows open for a long time in a dusty environment. Do you want to find out how often it is necessary to wash the couch covers? If so, then make sure to scroll down.
When To Wash Sofa Covers
When it is about how often you need to wash your couch covers, the frequency is determined by how frequently the couch is used and how often stains occur. In general, it is best to rinse the sheets twice or thrice a year. However, if your couch sheets get dirty quickly, you need to wash them more often (once a month).
The usual rule is that sofa covers should be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner once a month to eliminate dust and filth and maintain the seating’s appearance. Besides that, it is best to flip and fluff the sheets at least once a month to maintain the integrity and deter wear and wrinkling of the material.
Hiring a professional sofa cleaning service once every year is also a good idea since they ensure to tidy up your couch thoroughly. You can click here to check out high-quality sofa sheets, which make cleaning a breeze.
Two Ways To Wash Sofa Covers
Here we have listed two methods (washing machine and hand washing) to rinse the couch covers properly.
- Make sure whether you can wash the sofa covers with water or not. For this, you can scan the tags first.
- When the sofa sheets are still on your couch, vacuum them to eliminate dust.
- Attempt to take out as much pet hair as possible. It is better to use a pet hair removal tool to tidy the couch coverings.
- Utilize a high-end upholstery stain remover to remove any visible stains.
- Remove the sofa sheets and then zip them up.
In A Washing Machine
- Place the covers in the washing machine, two or three at a once if they are small in size. Make sure not to overload the washing machine with huge sofa coverings since they would not be thoroughly washed.
- Change the washing machine features to wash with cold water in a gentle cycle.
- Use a dye-free detergent or a light detergent so they would not do much damage to the sheets.
- Begin the cycle as usual, and when it is over, remove the couch covers and air dry them.
- When the sheets are dry, put the sofa covers on the couch.
Hand Washing Technique:
- Place half a teaspoon of cloth washing liquid in a basin or a bucket, then fill with warm water.
- Remove surplus water with your extremely soft upholstery cleaning brush after dipping it into the liquid.
- In order to clean your sofa sheets, move the cleaning brush on their surface.
- After a thorough cleaning, drop the sheets in another bucket of water to remove any remaining soap.
- Let the sheets dry naturally and put them on the sofa after they are totally dry.
How To Deep Clean Your Couch And Covers
It is best to clean the couch covers once a week or deep clean once a month. Here are the best techniques you can follow to ensure that you thoroughly clean your sofa.
Vacuum the dirt
Vacuuming is a terrific method to get started with cleaning. It swiftly catches the top layer of dust, hair, and food particles. As a result, the sofa and the covers will have a new look. Utilize a vacuum cleaner for couches if you are in a hurry and need to clean up quickly.
In order to assure a comprehensive clean-up, clean each and every corner, including the hard-to-reach areas. Use the numerous attachments for fabric brushes that your vacuum cleaner for the couch comes with. It is not compulsory, and an ordinary vacuum cleaner will suffice.
Wipe with a moist cloth
The vacuum cleaner can easily remove the upper layer of dirt, but you will need to wipe down the surfaces with a damp cloth to give them a polished appearance. Wipe the sheets if they can be cleaned with a moist towel, if otherwise, skip this step. For instance, you can clean leather sofa covers with a wet towel, but not cushion sheets made of suede or velvet.
Clean the Lint
Lint is a term used to describe the small cloth particles that accumulate on fabric after some time. Since lint ruins the material’s flawless finish, it is critical to remove it. As lint is not caught by vacuum cleaners, get a lint roller and use it to sweep the lint from the sofa covers. Regardless of the material, the couch covers are made of, you can use it as it is a multipurpose tool.
Steam clean the couch
Warm steamers can aid in the removal of leftover dust and make the couch visually clean. As it is an optional step, you would not have to be concerned if you do not possess a steam cleaner for steam cleaning the sofa.
You can wash the sofa covers twice or thrice a year with water and cleaning liquid. However, it is recommended to wipe the couch sheets twice a week with a simple cleaning dry cloth so that dust would not build up severely. Also, vacuum the sofa sheets using a vacuum cleaner twice a month. If you do not have enough time for cleaning and maintaining the couch sheets, you can hire a professional cleaning team.